The Making of the film:
Spitfire Mk.F22 PK664
Engine: Griffon 85
Sqdn - code: 615-V6-B
Role in film: Allocated not used, Currently: display
Too late for operational service it was not delivered from South Marston to No.39 MU until 5th December 1945. Here it remained until returned to the works on 14th March 1947, where it underwent modifications which were complete by 1st June, being dispatched to No.33 MU at Lyneham on the 25th. It is interesting to note that photographs exist showing this aircraft fitted with a Griffon 85 and 6-bladed contra-rotating propeller. Dates are not known, but it has been suggested that this was during the period March-June 1947.
It entered store once again and finally emerged on 11th May 1949 to be issued to No.615 (County of Surrey) Squadron based at Biggin Hill. On 29th August the squadron was engaged on its annual Air Gunnery Practice camp in Northern Germany when 664 suffered a Cat.3 flying accident. This was repaired by the engineering wing at Sylt and returned to the squadron and flew until it retired to No.33 MU on 14th December 1950. As with 624 it was dispatched to Gatwick for refurbishment on 2nd February 1951, the work being completed by 29th June, whereupon it was issued to No.9 MU Cosford for storage, arriving on 2nd July. Here it remained until declared a non-effective airframe on 16th June 1953 and sold, on 4th February 1954, back to Vickers.
The market for second hand Spitfires was gone and 664 was soon to be found guarding the gate of RAF Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, as 7759M, from where it was transferred to the gate of the Central Fighter Establishment, West Raynham, presumably as a replacement for the revitalised PS853. With the transfer of CFE to Binbrook in 1962 the Spitfire went too, where, resplendent in its 615 squadron markings of “V6-B” but, sadly, in green and dark earth camouflage, it perched atop a low pylon. The aircraft was put up for disposal at St Athan in 1991.
RAF Museum Restoration Centre, Cosford. RAF Waterbeach: gate guard. RAF West Raynham. RAF Binbrook 1962 to 1967. RAF Henlow for “Battle of Britain” film 1967 to 1968. RAF Binbrook 1968 to 1988. RAF St Athan for disposal 1991.
Current location – RAF Museum on show at the science museum.